Chrome just doesn’t finish loading JS files

I am writing an app that includes about 12 short JS files in the <head> section (I know, I should merge them and move them just before the end of <body>; would get to those when in production)

The trouble is that when I try to load the app in Chrome, Some files load immediately while some never finish loading at all! Chrome keeps trying to load the 12 JS files and never renders the page until I hit “Stop”.

When I hit stop, the HTML is rendered and the JS files fail as in the image below:

JS Load errors

Note that different JS files fail on each attempt! It’s not the same file that gets stuck every time!

Inspecting the headers of the failed files shows “Caution: request is not finished yet”. The files are stuck in “Receiving” sometimes for many minutes!

enter image description here

Now here’s the fun part, after hitting stop, if I focus on the omnibar and press enter, all the JS files load instantly and the application works fine!

On the server side, I am using Apache, PHP and MySQL. Have I misconfigured something in Apache?

STATUS after 2 gruelling days: zilch, nothing, nada, this is driving me nuts. I have tried running the code from different machines, have tried changing apache cache settings and changed myriad things in javascript but nothing has worked. The worst thing is that no one can pin point where the problem is!

One possibility is that you have Keep-Alive enabled and it is not working properly. I’ve seen this before. The browser establishes it’s maximum number of connections to your server (typically 6) to download the first few files (CSS, JS etc.) then those connections are not released until they time out. My symptoms were not quite the same as yours – the timeout was 20 seconds and everything would load in batches of 6 after that – but this could still be the cause.

Read More:   Using `super()` when extending `Object`

In your Apache configuration (httpd.conf on most systems), look for the KeepAlive line (or add it if it’s missing) and set it to Off.

More than an answer, here’s how I would troubleshoot the problem.

One of the things I’d try is commenting out tags one at a time and reload, to see where the threshold is. Also, because this is probably a server configuration problem, I’d restart it after each try, to have a clean slate, so to speak, i.e., no state preserved between tries.

I’d try to get more hints by trying to make the requests for the various Javascripts from a script in your favourite language. Ideally, I’d try GETting the scripts one by one (say with curl) waiting a few milliseconds between requests. I imagine I’d hit a threshold here as well. Like, getting one script per second works, but when requests get too close, the server gets stuck.

If still no clue, I’d use tcpdump to watch the traffic between the browser and the server. Okay, this may be a little too low level!

But perhaps I’d use netstat to see how many connections the browser opens in parallel to the server to fetch the resources, and see if we hit a concurrency limit.

I’m sorry this is a solution but I hope you get some ideas, and I’d be very curious to know what your problem is, in the end!

We got exactly the same message “Caution: request is not finished yet” after a request in the browser.

Read More:   Failed to load because no supported source was found. when playing HTML5 audio element [duplicate]

The request itself was in the order of 15 MB of JSON, which was fed into an Angular 1 application. This request took about 2 seconds. Right after the request was finished, the Angular digest cycle blocked the browser for more than 12 seconds (this is visible by profiling during the request). During that time Chrome showed this “Caution: request is not finished yet” message in request whilst it actually was already finished.

Check the Content-Length header. Server may pass incorrect value – greather than actual content length.

Try to emulate problem in
It should say you side of problem – chrome or server

There are several good answers, but if you want a foolproof method of doing this, you can use PHP to send all the scripts at once. If the problem is truly too many connections to the server, you could add some html code like this:

<script type="text/javascript" src=" />

And then in scripts.php you use the include() function to include all of the JavaScript files like so:

header("'); // control all your headers
// rest of scripts

If nothing else works and the problem is excessive connections, this should work.

The answers/resolutions are collected from stackoverflow, are licensed under cc by-sa 2.5 , cc by-sa 3.0 and cc by-sa 4.0 .

Similar Posts